The Delaware River is a beautiful work of nature that is not to be missed. There are a multitude of ways to take in the river’s magnificence, so many in fact that it is hard to imagine anyone would allow themselves to miss the opportunity to enjoy all that it has to offer this summer! Enjoy these incredible things to do when you stay with us at our New Hope bed and breakfast.
Here are 21 of our favorite ways to enjoy the Delaware River during your Bucks County visit
- Rent a kayak, or bring your own – Kayaks are a perfect fit for anyone looking for a great workout or just a relaxing float.
- Sunbathe on the Bridgeton House dock – grab a beach towel on the back porch and come soak up the sun!
- Go Tubing – if you are a kid at heart, find or rent a tube and dive on in, the water is quite refreshing.
- Take a Sunset Cruise – Bucks County River Boat offers public Sunset and Cocktail Cruises on select dates, or for the ultimate indulgence you can charter your own private river tour any day. (Bucks County River Boat Company is temporarily closed due to COVID-19)
- Fish the peaceful waters with your guide – try Mickey’s Guide Service, New Hope, PA.
- Relax on your private riverside porch/deck and take in the view… oh so peaceful.
- Canoe – If you enjoy being ON the water, but not IN it, choose a canoe.
- Under the full moon you will love watching the twinkling of the moon rays as the full moon rises over the river. Come enjoy the Buck Moon on July 9th, the Sturgeon Moon on August 7th or the Corn Moon on September 6th. If you can’t make the exact dates, no worries, a few days before and after offer some amazing moon rises too.
- Go Fish – you can fish right from the Bridgeton House dock. The river is outstanding for small mouth bass and a wide range of other species including stripers, shad, tiger musky, large mouth bass, catfish and walleye.
- While sipping wine on our riverside terraces, choose a bottle from one of our favorite local vineyards.
- River Rafting – the pristine and scenic area of the Delaware River near Upper Black Eddy, PA is the best place to enjoy rafting. Class 1 rapids add a little fun without adding difficulty.
- Biking – The 60-mile long Delaware Canal towpath, just steps from our front door, is a National Recreation Trail. Once trod by mule teams pulling boats along the canal, the towpath is used today by bicyclists who enjoy a leisurely ride while taking in the views.
- Stroll across the bridge at sunset – one of our favorite places to photograph sunsets on the river.
- Watch Fireworks over the river – A spectacular display on July 7, August 4th and September 1st over the River at New Hope, PA and Lambertville, NJ
- Catch a show – Enjoy a show at “America’s favorite playhouse.” After the show, imbibe at the Riverview Cafe.
- Revel in an “above the trees, bird’s eye view” – climb the stairs rising 125 feet in the air atop Bowman’s Hill to enjoy a 14 mile view of the river and surrounding countryside.
- Roaming along the river banks – enjoy some quiet solitude.
- Take a scenic drive – Enjoy the view from the comfort of your car. The 38 mile section of River Road that encompasses the area between New Hope and Upper Black Eddy, Pa is listed as one Pennsylvania’s “Best Scenic Drives”
- “Don’t Miss the Boat”: Wells Ferry Boat Rides in New Hope, PA depart every hour from Noon until 5 pm daily.
- Wine Tasting – Sand Castle Winery in Erwinna, PA offers a wonderful panoramic river view from their Castle.
- While away the afternoon in bed and watch the river float by from your riverside room at Bridgeton House on the Delaware – Bucks County’s only Riverside Inn.
Mother Nature is abundant along the peaceful shores of our wonderful river. Come for romance, adventure or relaxation. Whatever you fancy, you will find it here on the shores of the river.