The Delaware River, Bucks County, PA which straddles the Pennsylvania-New Jersey state line is considered one of the best Summer getaways from New York City. The historic area is also a short road trip for Philadelphia city dwellers looking for alternatives to the beach for sun and Summer fun. The small river towns that hug the river from New Hope, PA to Upper Black Eddy, PA offer some of the best lodging, dining, kayaking, rafting, tubing, fishing, biking, hiking and recreation on the East Cost. With its concentration of scenic river views, county and state parks, covered bridges, wineries and recreation areas, this pristine countryside draws visitors from across the East coast and around the world to enjoy its natural beauty.
Less than two hours from both New York City and Philadelphia, The Bridgeton House on the Delaware has long been a destination retreat, especially in Summer. With the magnificent Delaware River as it’s backyard, it welcomes countless fresh air-seeking urban dwellers who come to take advantage of this breathtaking section of the Delaware River. Although a Summer favorite destination it does serve as an oasis for outdoor lovers year-round, offering memorable drives, historic sites, museums, shopping and world class dining in any season.
Here are a few favorite ways to enjoy the Delaware River this Summer:
- River Rafting – this scenic area of the Delaware River is the perfect place to enjoy rafting. Class 1 rapids add a little fun without adding difficulty.
- Go Fishing – right from the Bridgeton House dock. The river is known for small mouth bass and a wide range of other species including stripers, shad, tiger musky, large mouth bass, catfish and walleye.
- Rent a kayak, or bring your own – Kayaks, perfect for a great workout or just a relaxing float.
- Go Tubing – if you are a kid at heart, find or rent a tube and dive on in, the water is quite refreshing!
- Take a Sunset Cruise – Bucks County River Boat offers public Sunset and Cocktail Cruises on select dates starting in July. For the ultimate indulgence, charter your own private river tour any day.
- Sunbathe on the Bridgeton House dock – come soak up the sun. – grab a beach towel on the back porch and enjoy.
- Stroll across the bridge at sunset – one of our favorite places to photograph sunsets on the river.
- Choose a bottle of wine from one of the local vineyards – and return to sip wine on our riverside terraces.
- Watch Fireworks over the river – A spectacular display on July 5 and August 7 over the River at New Hope, PA and Lambertville, NJ
- Relax on your private riverside porch/deck and take in the view… oh so peaceful.
- Catch a show – Enjoy a show at “America’s favorite playhouse.” After the show, enjoy the Deck and Bar at the playhouse.
- Canoe – If you enjoy being ON the water, but not IN it, choose a canoe.
- Biking – The 60-mile long Delaware Canal towpath, just steps from our front door, is a National Recreation Trail. Once trod by mule teams pulling boats along the canal, the towpath is used today by bicyclists who enjoy a leisurely ride while taking in the views.
- Roaming along the river banks – enjoy some quiet solitude.
- “Don’t Miss the Boat”: Wells Ferry Boat Rides in New Hope, PA depart every hour from Noon until 5 pm daily.
- Take a scenic drive – Enjoy the view from the comfort of your car. River Road is listed as one Pennsylvania’s “Best Scenic Drives”
- While away the afternoon in bed and watch the river float by from your riverside room at Bridgeton House on the Delaware – Bucks County’s only Riverside Inn.
Mother Nature is abundant along the peaceful shores of our wonderful river. No matter how you like to spend your time, you’re sure to find something you love in this treasured recreation area and at this New Hope area inn. See you on the River!